Gas has been a reliable, efficient, and affordable energy source for all Kiwis and businesses for over 50 years. Firstgas Group is behind helping Aotearoa meet zero carbon emissions by 2050.
That’s why we have already been investigating zero carbon gas options, such as hydrogen, biogas and bioLPG, to ensure that families and businesses can continue to enjoy instant heat, endless hot water, and cooking with a flame.
- Hydrogen is produced through the electrolysis of water, and can be burnt like natural gas, or used in a fuel cell to produce electricity.
- BioLPG is produced from renewable plant and vegetable waste, and is chemically identical to LPG, making it a direct energy replacement for your BBQ or LPG appliances.
- BioGas is a direct replacement for natural gas, and is produced through the breakdown of organic plant matter, such as food waste, food processing waste and sewage – basically, anything you
Gas will remain an important part of Aotearoa’s energy mix
- If you currently use natural gas or LPG, you won’t need to do a thing.
- The industry is working together to ensure gas energy will continue into the future.
- If you’re already connected, or thinking about connecting to gas, you can be sure that natural gas and LPG will keep flowing as we make the transition to zero carbon gases.
- You can be confident that you will be able to use natural gas or LPG appliances in your home for their expected lifetime. Current appliances are compatible with bioLPG and biogas, and are already able to run on a blend of natural gas and renewable hydrogen gas (up to 20%).
What you need to know
Still have some burning questions about the future of gas and how it affects you? Visit gasischanging.co.nz